Mental Health in the Workplace
This course assists you in identifying the impact of mental illness in your workplace, and guides you through the process of improving the mental health of your workforce. It gives you a comprehensive mental health plan for your workplace and makes it easy with step-by-step guidance and examples. Once you have done this course, the fundamentals are in place for your company to become a happier, healthier, more resilient place to work.
Why mental health matters
Mental health is currently a big topic, not only in SA, but worldwide. This lesson aims to create an understanding of the cost to company due to mental illness, and how it affects your bottom line. I make the case for the importance of addressing mental health in the workplace.
- The current situation in South Africa (stats and figures)
- The collective burden of disease (why mental health matters to a company)
- Benefits of addressing mental health in the workplace
Recognising mental illness in the workplace
This lesson empowers managers and team leaders to understand the prevalence as well as signs and symptoms of specific mental illnesses with a high incidence in South Africa.
- Depression and bipolar disorder
- Substance use
- Anxiety disorders, trauma and PTSD
This lesson aims to help you understand the very real manifestations of stigma in the workplace. I also take you through the harmful effects of stigma and how to manage stigma in your company.
- What is stigma
- Stigma and its harmful effects in the workplace
- How to manage stigma
Mental health policy
A mental health policy is the foundation of intervention around mental health in the workplace. A policy needs to be in place to guide the company in various levels of intervention. Whether you are starting from scratch, or you want to review your current mental health policy, this lesson takes you through the process step by step.
- Why is a mental health policy important
- Step by step guide to building a mental health policy part 1
- Step by step guide part 2
Laws and legislation
This lesson gives a run through of the basic laws and legislation that need to be taken into consideration regarding mental illness in the workplace.
- Introduction and basic conditions of employment act
- Employment equity act and labour relations act
- Mental healthcare act and conclusion
The grid model for intervention
The grid model is used to guide a company to think around intervention in a specific case. I will explain the different levels of intervention as well as the division of responsibility between the employer and employee.
- Understanding the grid model
- Case study 1: primary prevention
- Case study 1: secondary prevention
The grid model for intervention case study 2
This lesson uses a second case study and expands on the use of the grid model for intervention.
- Primary prevention
- Secondary prevention
This lesson shares two resources that include various different strategies both on primary and secondary prevention levels. This lesson also includes tips to navigate difficult conversations with an employee, around mental illness.
- Self-care checklist for employees
- Mental health checklist for employers
- Navigating difficult conversations